Saturday, May 9, 2009

Recommendations and Caveats

These are not necessarily favorites.  Just things I enjoy that I feel like sharing with you all.


TV Show:  Boston Legal

Caveat:  It’s a wee bit over the top.

Caveat #2:  It contains William Shatner.

Shatner really pulls off the role of Denny Crane, an aging yet undefeated legendary defense attorney.  And James Spader as Alan Shore is at the top of his game.  Candace Bergen is outstanding as well.  After watching my first episode, I thought it was too ludicrous.  By the second, I thought it was just ludicrous enough.  It’s off the air now, but available on DVD.


Movie: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Caveat: Cast Interviews

This is one of my all-time favorite films.  Written by Tom Stoppard, it catalogues the adventures of two minor characters from Hamlet.  You should definitely buy the DVD and watch the interviews with the cast and Mr. Stoppard.  I say that because I did, and I want to spread the pain around.  Truly awful.  But the film is still awesome.  Heck, I even liked Richard Dreyfuss in it.  Gary Oldman and Tim Roth also star, and are just perfect.

Caveat #2: Maybe they are undead now.


Snack Food: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

I realize this isn’t exactly a groundbreaking revelation, but only Haagen-Dazs improves the Chocolate/Peanut Butter combo.

Caveat: 4 out of 5 nutritionists surveyed cliam that Reese’s and Mountain Dew should not comprise your entire diet.  But your dentist sends you Christmas and Birthday cards.  How cool is that?


Books: Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan novels

This series, especially the earlier ones, are a bit dated, but still pretty damned good.  I recently reread most of them (something I tend to do every few years, which is why I keep them around), and enjoyed them again.

Caveat:  There is a lot of locker-room-style male-bonding going on.  This was particularly noticeable in The Sum of All Fears.  Lots of references to “big brass ones”.  It can get tedious.  The series is recommended anyway.  There is no reason to read beyond Executive Orders, unless watching the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead interviews wasn’t tedious enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment