Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Gentle Genius

I was just on the phone with Norm, and he asked me what kind of blog I was creating.  I answered, "Varied".

This segued into a reminiscence about Igor Ivanov.  (Varied.  I told you.)  And now I'd like to share with you.

Igor Ivanov (1947-2005) was a great chess player, who I had the great fortune to know.  I even played against him on several occasions.  None of these contests were at all close, so great was the disparity of skill.

One year, we were both playing in the Utah Open Chess Championship.  Prior to the event, Igor and I were talking.  We may even have been playing Hearts; this was a common pastime.  I mentioned to him that I hated playing chess against him.  Not because I always lost, but because I never learned anything in the process.  Seventeen moves or so into a game with him, I would simply have a hopeless position, and resign.

When I told him this, he chuckled.

In round two, we were paired against each other.  We met at the table and set up the pieces, and waited for play to begin.  Just before the round began, he leaned across the board, and in an almost conspiratorial whisper (and his thick Russian accent) said, "Today I teach you good lesson."

He proceeded to crush me.  Again.  I'm certain he had a winning attack after about 15 moves.  Instead of pursuing it, however, he retreated, consolidated his position, and remained a pawn ahead.  One pawn.  He was actually willing to spend the next few hours slowly torturing me, and finally defeating me, with that small advantage.

So I resigned.  That'll teach him!

I have many other recollections of the man.  It occurs to me that I took for granted my association with him.  Somehow, it just always seemed so natural that this amazing, gentle genius was playing hearts with me, or joking with me, or playing the piano spectacularly, or cooking the worst liver I have ever had.

I didn't recognize my great fortune at the time.

(Norm has an even better tribute here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment