Saturday, January 24, 2009

Legal Research

So tonight I'm watching some Boston Legal episodes from season 5.  Early in the episode entitled "Mad Cows", the point is made that 8 out of the previous 11 presidential elections had gone Republican.  That seemed a bit high to me, so I made a quick list:

 

2004  W

2000  W

1996  Bill Clinton

1992  Bill Clinton

1988  Bush Sr

1984  Reagan

1980  Reagan

1976  Carter

1972  Nixon

1968  Nixon

1964  LBJ

 

I went from memory, except for 1964, which I don't remember, having not yet been born.  But Wikipedia helped there.  By my count, we have Clinton (2), Carter, and LBJ winning a total of 4 of the previous 11 presidential elections, meaning Republicans have won the remaining 7.

I'm not sure why this is important to me, but did Boston Legal miss this?  Or did I miscalculate?  Please let me know if I missed something.

2 comments:

  1. Did it say elections, or presidents. If presidents you've left out Gerald Ford which would make the statement 8 of 11 true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denny: "I've never missed a presidential election. I'm usually right, too. I've been on the winning side eight times out of the last eleven."

    Alan: "That's impressive. Also an uncanny coincidence, since eight out of the last eleven have also gone Republican."

    Clearly they were talking about elections. But you have a point, and I'll bet that counting Ford was their error.

    ReplyDelete