Monday, January 12, 2009

Proposition 8

I am in favor of same-sex marriage.  To my mind, there is simply no rational reason to deny people this right.  There are several legal rights that go along with marriage, such as tax breaks.  It is unconscionable to deny these rights to an entire group of people. 

So when the Mormon church actively campaigned in support of California's Proposition 8, I felt it was tantamount to a hate crime.  It caused me to recategorize it as a political organization.  I realize that they have been active in politics for some time in my home state of Utah, but in my mind this crossed another, firmer line. 

On one hand, I just don't see why they, or anyone, give a rat's ass.  I fail to see how it would diminish the so-called "sanctity of marriage".  That's a religious term, and no one is suggesting that churches be forced to "sanctify" these marriages by hosting them or officiating in any way.  Your temple marriages are safe. 

On the other hand, I'm afraid I do understand.  It's fun to hate.  It's fun to discriminate.  It's fun to pick on minorities.  I don't know this firsthand; but I see it all over the world, and throughout history.  Indeed, when the Mormon church first started out, they were similarly disparaged.  The hypocrisy is stunning. 

I am also finding that it has colored my view of my Mormon friends.  I generally don't care what my friends believe, yet I am finding it increasingly difficult to ignore these hateful, bullying acts.  It's sad, because some of them seem to be likeable, quality people.  But I am experiencing difficulty reconciling what they appear to be with the actions they take.



Update: onegoodmove.org posted a relevant video.

2 comments:

  1. Like you pointed out - what business is it of anyone's?
    I've never understood why people feel the need to protest against homosexuality. Especially people who call themselves Christians. It's not very... well, Christian. Why not protest against murder or adultery. Not only are the forbidden in the Bible, they actually have their own Commandment. One each. And, unlike being gay, killing someone or cheating on your spouse, does actually hurt others.

    If people have a problem with those who are born gay (sorry, Christian right, but that's exactly what they are) on the grounds of their religion, that's their choice. But live and let live. Or, as a very wise man once said "Judge not lest thee be judged".

    Great post. It's just sad in this day and age these things still need to be said.

    Hugs
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's not very... well, Christian."

    Bingo. Well said, Anna!

    ReplyDelete