Saturday, January 3, 2009

You Know Who You Are

A friend of mine posted this on his blog.

It's a picture of a billboard. The text starts with, "Attention Lunatic Atheists". As many of you might imagine, this caught my attention.

Now, I have many friends who are Christians. In fact, I was discussing this very picture with one of them this evening. But here's my take on this. Believe whatever you like. Believe in the virgin birth. Believe in the resurrection. Believe that aliens deposited trillions of alien souls into our volcanoes, if you wish.

But do not then try to fashion yourself as a bastion of rationality by calling the rest of us "lunatics". If you are trying to embarrass us, it won't work. If you are trying to convert us, it won't work. All you are trying to do is feel better about yourself at the expense of others.

As an aside, and possibly a prologue to a future post, I find it quite telling that some religious groups, having themselves faced a history of persecution, find it entirely acceptable to then persecute other groups.

You know who you are.

3 comments:

  1. Heh, I'm with you. Found you via onegoodmove. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said!

    (yep, all praise jes-...i mean, 1gm!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, hear hear! I've satirised religion a few times in my writings and usually end up getting nasty emails about it telling me I *have* to respect their beliefs. I like to point out that whilst I 100% respect their right to have those beliefs, that doesn't mean I have to respect the beliefs themselves. Respect has to be earned - as a woman and a rational human being, Christianity has done nothing to earn mine. They can tell us we're going to suffer eternal damnation, we can't tell them we disagree or we're being disrespectful. It's got me tearing my hair out sometimes. (not all Christians I hasten to add, just the lunatic fringe).

    Great post. I'll definitely be back to see more of this blog.

    ReplyDelete